Submitted by Taps Coogan on the 16th of April 2018 to The Sounding Line.
The following graphic, from HowMuch.net, reveals the number of people worth more than $500 million living in every country in the world.
Countries with the most residents worth over $500 million:
1. U.S. (North America): 1,830 people
2. China (mainland) (Asia): 490 people
3. Germany (Europe): 430 people
4. Japan (Asia): 390 people
5. Hong Kong (China) (Asia): 320 people
6. Canada (North America): 270 people
7. Switzerland (Europe): 250 people
8. France (Europe): 230 people
9. Russia (Russia): 220 people
10. U.K. (Europe): 220 people
With 1,830 ultra-wealthy residents, the US clearly takes the number one spot. If you add Hong Kong to China’s total, China has 810 ultra-wealthy residents, still less than half the US value. It is also clear from the graphic that the overwhelming majority of the world’s wealthiest live in North America, Europe, and Asia. As HowMuch.net notes, the majority also live in well functioning democracies. In fact, with the exception of Russia and China, every country with 100 or more ultra-wealthy residents is a well functioning democracy.
To see how global income distribution has evolved over the last two hundred years, read this.
P.S. If you would like to be updated via email when we post a new article, please click here. It’s free and we won’t send any promotional materials.