Submitted by Taps Coogan on the 4th of May 2019 to The Sounding Line.
Enjoy The Sounding Line? Click here to subscribe.
The following map, from Reddit user AXEMANMC, shows the deadliest war for each country in Europe.
As Vivid Maps notes, the ten wars that make the list are:
- World War II (The most deadliest war for Russia: 13-15 millions, Ukraine: 6-8 million, Germany: 6.5-7.5 million, Poland: 6 million, Belarus: 2-2.5 million, Romania: 0.5-0.7 million, Vengria: 400-750 thousand, United Kingdom: 400-500 thousand, Greece: 64-515 thousand, Netherlands: 200 thousand, Lithuania: 375 thousand, Latvia: 250 thousand, Belgia: 75-100 thousand, Estonia: 80 thousand, Slovakia: 60 thousand, Slovenia: 9-40 thousand, Albania: 10-30 thousand, Norway: 10-12 thousand) ~ Total deaths: 60 million.
- World War I (The deadliest war for Italy: 1.46-1.65 million, Serbia: 500-750 thousand, Turkey: 200-450 thousand, Austria: 150-350 thousand, Bulgaria: 130-375 thousand, Montenegro:10-60 thousand)
~ Total deaths: 20 million.
- Thirty Years’ War (The deadliest war for Germany: 6.5-7.5 million, Czechia: 0.15-1.5 million) ~ Total deaths: 8 million.
- Peninsular war (The deadliest war for Portugal: 150-250 thousand)
~ Total deaths: 3,5 million
- French Wars of Religion: 2-4 million
- Eleven Years War (The deadliest war for Ireland: 200-600 thousand) ~ Total deaths: 2,8 million
- Spanish Civil War: 365 thousand
- Great Northern War (The deadliest war for Finland: 70-100 thousand, Sweden: 50-70 thousand, Dania: 5-60 thousand) ~ Total deaths: 350 thousand.
- Bosnian War: 100-175 thousand
- Croatian War of Independence: 6-25 thousand
If you would like to be updated via email when we post a new article, please click here. It’s free and we won’t send any promotional materials.